Pazzi Chapel - Florence, Italy
architect - Filippo Brunelleschi
dates - 1429 to 1461
style - Italian Renaissance
"Located on the southern flank of the great Franciscan church, the Pazzi Chapel was begun after 1442 although an agreement with Brunelleschi may have been made more than a decade earlier...the Pazzi Chapel was designed with a twelve-ribbed hemispherical dome on pendentives above a square extended into an oblong by the addition of barrel-vaulted bays on two of its sides. In keeping with its function as a chapter house, a low bench runs along the walls of the room; opposite the entrance a smaller altar chapel, square and domed, opens from the eastern wall. Similar to the Old Sacristy, but more intricate in pattern and more decorative in effect, is the clear-cut arch and pilaster articulation of the pale stucco walls, with framed circles afloat in spaces left free in the geometric system...
This small, brilliant structure represented a high point in early Renaissance style. Cerebral, rational, and serene, it was a marked contrast to the dynamics of Gothic architecture."
— Marvin Trachtenberg and Isabelle Hyman. Architecture: from Prehistory to Post-Modernism. p286-7.